A year after his return to Manchester United, Cristiano Ronaldo is again involved in a transfer saga. The superstar reportedly wants to play in the Champions League, and peace talks between his camp and United have reportedly failed this week. Despite being one of the greatest players in soccer history, it seems as if Ronaldo’s options are limited. According to widespread reports, Atlético Madrid had been a possible destination for him but not everyone at the Spanish club was excited about the prospect.
Cristiano Ronaldo is a legend at Real Madrid, which makes it surprising to hear that the club might sign him. Some fans are not happy about this possibility, though. They unfurled banners with messages like “CR7 not welcome” and “Ronaldo is not coming here.” Another option was Bayern Munich, after it sold its star forward Robert Lewandowski. But Bayern CEO Oliver Kahn says the club decided against pursuing the deal. “We came to the conclusion that despite all the appreciation for Cristiano, he would not have fit in our philosophy in the current situation,” Kahn told Germany’s Sport Bild magazine.
Manchester United standoff
New manager Erik Ten Hag has been tasked with turning things around at the sleeping giant and has publicly said he is planning for life with Cristiano Ronaldo. “I am looking forward to working with him,” the manager said earlier this month. “Cristiano is not for sale. He is in our plans. We want success together.” There is no doubting Ronaldo’s ability to score goals, but it appears his age and enormous wage demands are factors in putting the biggest clubs off a potential move.
Some people have questioned whether the Portuguese star will fit into a different team philosophy, including Ten Hag’s demanding style of play. As the season opener draws closer — United kicks off against Brighton on August 7 — something will have to give in his stand-off with the Red Devils. Fans will just have to hope the latest transfer saga won’t dent his legacy at the club.